In 1978, the Five Points Alcoholics Anonymous Group moved to King Solomon Lodge. Initially, a "chip club," called the Jefferson Alcoholic Foundation, Inc. was formed to handle business operations of the lodge which the Five Points group occupied. Soon, group members realized the club was attracting Alcoholics Anonymous members who were not members of the Five Points AA group.
The need for a place for recovering alcoholics to spend time outside of meeting times was recognized. JAFI was formed in 1980, to provide a place recovering alcoholics needed for fellowship and support. In addition, JAFI served as the legal entity for AA groups needing meeting space in Birmingham’s Southside area as well as leasing office space to the Birmingham AA Intergroup Central Office.
In March of 2003, JAFI suffered the loss of the “Old House” due to fire. Built in 1890, the historical home had served as JAFI’s main facility since 1980. After the fire, JAFI moved into the “speaker building,” an adjacent, smaller structure on the same property and has been providing recovery services there ever since.
Starting in 2007, JAFI has expanded the scope of our mission to include a variety of anonymous fellowships. We continue to host meetings at all hours. Our clubhouse is open to JAFI members outside of meeting times and provide the space for vital fellowship.
JAFI Membership is not required for attendance at any meetings. All are welcomed here.
- Clinton Pittman, past President of the JAFI Board of Direc